News

SEPTEMBER 2021 UPDATE: True to form September’s update appears well into October, sorry about that.

This month has seen some solid progress in several areas on the aircraft.

As we start to prepare for the winter and the less favourable time of year for outdoor tasks there are still a few tasks that I’d like to get ticked off the to-do list before I seal up the cockpit for the duration.

At the start of the month a second seat was located which had a couple of items that were missing from our seat. The harness retraction unit was removed and fitted to our seat, quite an involved job that meant stripping both seats substantially.

One of the major aims for this year has been to restore electrical power to the aircraft. Although the AC and DC distribution boxes in the nosewheel bays have been complete for a while now and all the control units located and fitted, the major area holding me back has been the wiring damage at the front of the spine. This all needed to be made electrically safe and prepared for eventually reinstalling the repaired spine harness (which is still work in progress). With a large amount of wiring to be sorted I initially started with this pair of co-ax aerial cables:

The cut wiring was all separated into distinct bundles and terminated into mil-spec connectors. These connectors will be mirrored on the harness that will eventually be refitted to the spine and will mean that should the wing need to be removed in the future it will become a far simpler task (and not need to be cut!).

With this wiring all terminated into connectors I then set about powering up the aircraft for probably the first time in roughly 20 years. This has been done initially (and tentatively) with an external 24V Battery. All the cockpit circuit breakers were tripped and isolated as I wanted to power systems up in a controlled manner. There are only a few essential systems powered on the battery bus-bar.

With DC power safely online I then reconnected the static inverter to power the Essential AC bus-bar.

There is still plenty to do and plenty to check but I’m quite pleased to get past this initial hurdle, especially when this was our starting point in the cockpit all those years ago….

As well as the restoration of limited power to the aircraft a few more tasks have also been ticked off.

A replacement canopy seal has been located and fitted:

And in the fin the missing compass flux valve installation has been replaced. A new flux valve has been fitted, all the missing bracketry has been sourced and a new electrical loom made and fitted.

It was also nice to find this piece of Jaguar related memorabilia this month. An original printer’s proof sheet of iconic Airfix model kit box art that has been signed by artist Roy Cross.

That about wraps up September’s news.

Don’t forget that with Christmas (yes, I did say Christmas) approaching that our merchandise page is still ready to supply all your Jaguar XX764 needs and all proceeds roll directly back into assisting the aircraft.

Thanks, as always, for the ongoing interest and support.

Neil